Norrkvarn upper lock
Formal name: Slöjderna/The Craft
Technical facts: This is a single lock with a rise of 2.9 metres.
The lockkeeper’s cottage at Norrkvarn Upper was built in 1819, while the cottage at Norrkvarn Lower dates from 1901. The place name indicates that there was once a water mill at Norrkvarn. It is known that one existed here as early as 1401 but mill operations came to an end in the 1960s.
At this lock, a stream named Torvedsbäcken passes beneath the canal in a culvert with four arches clad
with dressed stone. The stretch next to the lock is not excavated but built on an embankment. The
bottom of the canal is therefore 2.5 metres above the original ground level.