Sjötorp Locks 7-8
Formal name: No. 8 is named Handeln (the Trade) and no. 7 Bergsbruket (the Mining).
Year of construction: Both locks were built in 1822
Technical facts: This lock consists of two connected locks. Together, they cover a difference in height of 4.6 metres. After the double lock lies the so-called Smörgåsekröken, where the canal makes a sharp turn.
The yellow cabin by the lock used to be home to the lock keeper, who lived and worked here in Sjötorp. It was built in 1859, in wood, on a base of cut granite rock. Niklas Nilsson worked here at the Sjötorp locks 7-8 for all of 50 years. He began his work on the first of April in 1857 and left on the same date in 1912. He was twice awarded the medal of the Royal Patriotic Society, first in 1882 when he received the small medal and then later in 1906 when he received the honour of the society’s large medal.