Mem Lock

Mem Lock

Read about Mem Lock's formal name, year of construction and technical facts. Learn the history!

Product description

Formal name: Bengt Erland Franc Sparre (after Baltzar von Platen’s successor as Chairman of the Canal Company).
Year of construction: 1831-32
Technical facts: The lock is a so-called single lock with a rise of three metres, made of granite and operated with hydraulics.

The Mem lock was the final lock built as part of the grand Göta Canal project. The lock keeper’s cottage built in 1833 housed at least two keepers for long periods of time. For 44 years, Frans Ludvig Gustafsson watched the lock, he was also a lighthouse keeper. In recognition of his dutiful service, he was awarded the Medal of the Royal Patriotic Society, by the Directorate of the Göta Canal. In 1929, Frans was succeeded by Per Erik Alvar Stenman who remained stationed here almost as long. When he left his position in 1971, 42 years had elapsed.

On the northern wall, facing Slätbaken, someone has inscribed a passage from the Book of Psalms: “Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it.”