The Brunnby lock
Read about The Brunnby lock´s formal name, year of construction and technical facts. Learn the history!
Formal name: Frans Gustaf Oscar (after a brother of King Charles XV)
Year of construction: 1820
Technical facts:This double lock has a rise of 5.3 metres. The lower lock in Brunnby is the shortest and narrowest on the entire canal. A regular lock is 35.63 metres long and between 7.3 and 7.4 metres wide. The Brunnby lock is just 34.85 metres long and 7.18 metres wide
The lock keeper’s house adjacent to the Brunnby Lock is a wooden one, built in 1927. The old cow shed nearby was probably also built in the early 1900’s. Carl Brogren lived and worked as a lock and bridge keeper here for 45 years (from 1864 to 1909). Initially, he also worked as a digger and mason. When Brogren left his post, he was succeeded by Gustaf Adolf Nilsson, who remained in Brunnby until 1941, working as a keeper and carpenter.