The Lower Carlsborg Lock
Formal name: Skandinavien (Scandinavia)
Year of construction: 1829-1831
Technical facts: The lock is operated using hydraulics and all gates have cast iron frames with wooden boarding. The double lock covers a height of 5.1 metres.
All the way back in 1881, the first lock keeper named Ringström began working here at the Carlsborg lock. An era began with John Melcher Ringström who worked here until 1926. He was then succeeded by his son Torsten Eilert Ringström, who remained here until 1965. Finally, the bridge keeping work was passed to one last direct descendant, namely Dag Eilert Ringström who worked here until 1979. All in all, the Ringströms operated the Carlsborg lock for a total of 98 years.
The lock keeper’s house where all the Ringströms lived was built in 1898 and has since been modernised, in 1970. After the last Ringström left his post, the lock was also remodelled to be operated using hydraulics. Near the lock, there is also a former cooking house, built in Mem in 1877. The house was moved to Carlsborg in 1897 to serve as temporary accommodation for the lock keeper at the time. On the southern side lie canal company warehouses, built in the early 1800’s. The hill overlooking the warehouses is the site of the former house of the Head of Engineering. This house was built all the way back in the 18th century and purchased around the time of canal construction.