The Berg Lock
Read about The Berg Lock 's formal name, year of construction and technical facts. Learn the history!
Formal name: Karl Ludvig Eugen (after King Charles/Karl XV)
Year of construction: 1819-1820
Technical facts:The Karl Ludvig Eugen locks are connected and were electrified early, all the way back in 1969. They are manoeuvered using hydraulics. The locks have a total rise of 5.5 metres. West of the locks here in Berg, on the northern canal bank, stands a historic memorial. It was raised in 1932 to commemorate the work done by conscripted soldiers in the construction of the Göta Canal. The six blocks of light red granite have bronze reliefs facing the canal. The artist behind this memorial is C. Berger and his aim was to provide a symbolic representation of the canal construction work.
The lock keeper’s house, found adjacent to the locks, was built in 1935. The house that stood there before had a veranda for steamboat passengers. Two generations from the Hammarlöf family lived and worked at the Berg locks. Carl Josef Hammarlöf began his work as a bridge and lock keeper in 1868 and remained in Berg until 1909, when he was succeeded by the next Hammarlöf in line, Johan Albert, who remained posted here until 1925.