Read about Söderköping Lock 's formal name, year of construction and technical facts. Learn the history!
Formal name: Söderköping
Year of construction:1847
The lock through which ships now pass in Söderköping is not the original one. The first lock found here was built in 1832. However, its foundations were much too weak and it began sinking shortly after completion. It was therefore replaced by the lock that we see here today.The low gates (the upper pair of lock gates) retain their original cast iron frame.
On June 3, 1931, the canal steamer Juno smashed right into the gates of the lock. The engine operator misinterpreted the ship mate’s signal and instead of hitting full reverse, he went full steam ahead. Because Juno was inside the lock when this happened, it could have been a devastating catastrophe. Luckily, however, the rear lock gates withstood the impact and were pushed shut by the water flooding in. Had the gates not been closed, this could have led to the flooding of a number of houses as they were located below the lock. Just ten days later, the lock had been repaired and canal traffic went back to normal.
In Söderköping you can also see several of the original warehouses belonging to the canal as well as other preserved buildings. The lock keeper’s house that stands here today was built in 1869-70. At least two of the warehouses were built as early as the 1830’s.