Heda Lock, Gota Canal

Motala, Linköping

Formal name: Oscar Fredrik (King Oscar II).
Built: 1818-1820.
Technical facts: This double lock has a rise of 5.2 metres. Operation is hydraulic and the lock was electrified in 1970.

History of the lock
The lockkeeper's house is of timber and originally belonged to Brunnby Manor. It has the name "Ugglebo" and is located near a spring where at one time it was possible to "take the waters". The house has probably been here since the end of the 18th century and may have served as a doctor's residence at the time the spring was in use. After the canal company bought the property, it was used as a bakery before it finally became a lockkeeper's cottage.