Berg Locks

Motala, Linköping

Formal name: Karl Ludvig Eugen ( King Karl XV).
Technical facts: The Karl Ludvig Eugen Locks are joined together and was electrified as early  as 1969. They have a total rise of 5.5 metres.

History of the lock:

The present lockkeeper's house was built in 1935. The earlier building had a veranda for steamboat passengers.

Memorial stone
West of the locks, on the north bank of the canal, stands a memorial stone which was erected in 1932 to commemorate the billeted soldiers who built the canal. The six blocks of light red granite have a bronze relief on the side facing the canal. The memorial was designed by C. Berger and has a symbolic depiction of the canal excavations.