Klämman Lock

Motala, Söderköping

Formal name: Linköping
Built: 1826 

History of the lock
The upper lock at Klämman has a reinforced and widened walkway across the gates.  This is because the towpath from Mem to Klämman went along the south side of the canal, while the towpath from Klämman to Snövelstorp went along the north side. The horses and oxen that pulled the boats were therefore forced to cross the lock at Klämman.