Motala Lock


Formal name: Föreningen/The Union (the lock is named in commemoration either of the Union of Sweden and Norway or the joining of the North Sea and the Baltic).

Built: 1818.

Technical facts: This regulating lock has a rise of only 10 centimetres. The lock was  manually operated up to 1979 but is now operated hydraulically.

History of the lock

The old lockkeeper’s house was built of stone in 1833. The present house dates from 1922. Just south of the cottages is the former pilot’s house. This was originally the lockkeeper’s outhouse, but was converted into a dwelling-house in 1873-1874.