Godhögen Lock

Motala, Töreboda

Formal name:  Vetenskaperna/The Sciences.
Built: 1822.
Technical facts: This double lock has a rise of 5.1 metres. The original lock wall between the centre gates was removed in the 1960s and replaced by a wall in reinforced concrete.

History of the lock

The locks at Godhögen were operated by successive generations of the Jansson family for 97 years. The first of them, Jan Erik Jansson, began as a lockkeeper on 1 April 1857. In 1894, Theodor Jansson took over and was followed on 14 March 1938 by carpenter Frans Olof Jansson, who was lockkeeper until 1954.